104 East Poinsett Street

(Note: original brick, some of the oldest in Greer, can be seen on the back wall including two large arched openings; see photo.)

1898: Vacant store

  • The May 1898 Sanborn Fire map shows the one-story brick building with the address 409. 
  • The address is noted as 408. However, the map seems to indicate that the name "Emma Street" continues on this side of Main down to the Trade Street corner; the address, then, was likely 409 Emma Street.
  • The map lists it as vacant.
  • The lot to the east, plus the one beyond that, are brick storefronts with similar size and shape; they are listed as a general store.
  • The lot to the west has a blacksmith shop right on the corner of Emma/Hill Street and Main Street, and a lumber storage building nearby.

1904: Peoples Store

  • 409 Emma Street is now the rightmost in a line of four storefronts, and People's general store occupies all four. The blacksmith shop is gone from the corner just to the west (though a new one now stands just a block farther north up Main); the shop has now been turned into another lumber storage building.
  • The 1979 SC historic property record states that the building was built for F. C. Owens as a company store for Victor Mill.
  • R. M. Hughes was manager of the Peoples Store.

1911: Peoples Store

  • This address might still be People's, but a lot has changed. People's had occupied all four storefronts, but the February 1911 map shows that they've compressed to the two closest to Main; Thompson Hardware now occupies the other two. The Sanborn map shows this address as a "general store" and the one beside it as "furniture," but they are connected with doorways between and a photograph shows that they are both still People's.
  • In addition, in the lot to the west, a large new bank building has been raised.

1922-1930: Store

  • It might still be People's; however the October 1922 map shows this unit as just a "store," as well as the one beside it, and they are no longer shown as connected with doorways.
  • The units to the east, which held Thompson Hardware, are now labeled "furniture." By the 1930 map, the entire row of storefronts are each simply labeled as stores.
  • The building to the west has changed from a bank to a store.

1951: Store

  • The March 1951 Sanborn map now lists the address as 102 East Poinsette (yes, that map has an "e" on the end). The building address today is 104, but the reason and timing of the change from 102 to 104 is unknown (or if this is just an error on the map).

1979: Unknown store

  • A photograph from 1979 shows that the row of storefronts has been demolished, with only this building and the corner building still standing. The single-story building at 102 is clearly occupied by some sort of store, but there is no sign or other legible marks.
  • Since the store beside this is now demolished, a bricked-over arched doorway can be seen in the side wall.

2003-c. 2010: Gerard's

  • Italian chef Gerard Cribbin and business partner Robert Conway opened the restaurant on June 9, 2003. 

2010: Taco Parilla

  • Owners Stan and Dan Christofferson opened their first restaurant across the street: Great Bay Oyster House. The success of that restaurant led to them opening this one, which apparently did not do so well.
  • The restaurant's grand opening was August 17, 2010.

2011-present: The Strip Club 104 Steakhouse

  • The Strip Club 104 opened on May 10, 2011 and remains open as of 6/2020. It is owned by brother and sister Jason and Allison Clark, along with Jeff Dye. They are the same owners of another Greer restaurant, BIN112 (now closed; it was located at 112 Trade Street).
  • As a result of government mandates due to the 2020 coronavirus outbreak, The Strip Club 104 laid off 22 full-time employees. “Not doing curb service, the restaurant still has over head of $6000-$8000 a month. With curb service, you can add an additional $4000 a week to that number. We are going to try curb service, but this is not a time for promotions,” said Executive Chef and Owner Jason Clark. “It is a time to support.”
    “Remember when the titanic was sinking and the band continue to play?” Clark said. “Well we’re the band. We will stand always but not without your help.”

Item Details


104 East Poinsett Street


Building/business history


Occupants and history of 104 E Poinsett St

Street Address

104 East Poinsett Street

Item sets

Other Media