Apalache Mill (Arlington Cotton Mill)

Item Details


Apalache Mill (Arlington Cotton Mill)


Building/business history


Built in 1837, this was known as the Arlington Cotton Mill from 1888-1921, when it changed its name to Apalache Mill. It is uncertain what it was named from 1837-1888, though it may well have been Arlington from the beginning.

"Among the first five mills built in the upstate, the Apalache Mill site is the last surviving, and remained active from 1837 to 2007. The 1888 mill was the second brick building on the site and was constructed at the beginning of the modern textile boom in Spartanburg County. The Apalache Mill is also an example of early twentieth century hydroelectric powered textile mill and is important in the industrial development of the rise of electric powered textile mills. It was the first to use a General Electric Company system to provide long distance power to the Victor Mill in Greer, two miles away. Throughout the mill's existence it produced fancy cotton, sheeting, and linen goods. Production continued until 2007, when operation was consolidated in the Greer Mill. The period of significance includes the construction dates of the modern mill and major alteration dates of all contributing buildings and structures, as well as the mill pond, between 1888 and 1946, covering its peak period of development and expansion." — from the National Registry entry.

Street Address

2200 Racing Road, Greer, SC, 29651

National Register Information System ID